Lekki Gardens is a real estate company that has delivered 6,000 housing units since it began operations in 2011. During a heavy downpour on Tuesday March 8, a building collapsed at one of its residential estate projects at Ikate Elegushi.
There’s been a lot of speculations and opinions about who’s at fault and who should be punished while the Lekki Gardens MD, Richard Nyong has been arrested. The Lagos state govt has vowed to prosecute those found guilty to the full extent of the law which is something we all support, also the Lekki Gardens real estate company has also sympathized with the deceased and members of the general public while making efforts to provide adequate medical care and attention to survivors and next of kins.
Read my 15 facts on what promises to be a protracted saga, hopefully justice prevails.
- Lekki Gardens was incorporated in January 2012 as a wholly indigenous real estate firm with a clear vision to bridge the 17 million housing deficit gap in Nigeria. LG moved from humble beginnings to become the market leader in the provision of super affordable homes
- LG has over the years built a strong reputation for providing some of the best real estate in NigeriaLekki Gardens was designed with the vision of helping every common man become a landlord in Nigeria
- Lekki Gardens operates Horizon Projects, Lekki Gardens, Ikoyi Gardens, Mainland Gardens, Port Harcourt Gardens. LASG has done preliminary tests on all buildings constructed by Lekki Gardens in Lagos. The safety of human lives is paramount to Lekki Gardens
- No such building collapse has been ever recorded in any of these estates built and operated by Lekki Gardens. The picture of a man wearing a helmet going around is not of a worker on the site as the site was closed during the time of collapse
- The company provides employment to 350 persons directly and 10,000 indirectly. Lekki Gardens sympathizes with the bereaved families and the injured, also re-affirms its commitment to the premium placed on lives and in every aspect of its business dealings. Lekki Gardens remained undoubtedly committed to fulfilling our customers’ expectations by providing exceptional facility management services
- Lekki Gardens started with 350 housing units in 2012 and has delivered about 6,000 home units to over 4,500 families.
- Some of the survivors confirmed that they ran from their shelter due to the heavy wind and downpour at the early hours of that morning
- Lekki Gardens is committed to delivering 15, 000 units in 48 sites before the end of 2016. The company is aiming to have been able to build 100, 000 units in the next two years and 1million units in 5-8 years
- The company was prevented from taking pictures of the injured in the hospital and the dead bodies at the mortuary
- The building collapsed at about 4am after heavy downpour. No work was being done at the site during this time.
- Construction had been halted on the collapsed building at the time of the incidence
- It was an uncompleted building, it wasn’t occupied and was yet to be handed over to Lekki Gardens by the contractor.
- There was a disclaimer on the site, which states site work resumption at 8am and closure by 6pm
- Lekki Gardens are the ones taking care of the bereaved, the injured and their families
- Richard Nyong complied with the directive of LASG and reported himself to the office of the Commissioner of Police
Nyong has been interrogated and detained by the police since the collapse, and is being retained in prison for 30 days
He answered the authorities willingly when they called, he wasn’t arrested as claimed, but they cuffed him, paraded him and remanded him in prison even before a fair trial
- Nyong was awarded Property Developer for the Year 2014 by the Institute for Government, Research Leadership and Technology
Nyong was named CEO and Real Estate Person of the Year 2014 by Lagos Real Estate Unite
Nyong was awarded Property Developer of the Year 2014 by City People Magazine